Wednesday, 17 April 2013

A real nappy story from a reluctant hippy

This week is real nappy week. I have toyed with the idea of blogging about it, but I was worried that my post was going to come across as biased. Sadly, I don't think there is much I can do about that, because I am. I am, in fact, a convert. I am a fan, a lover and even, I might say, an addict. 

Before Libby was born, I read a bit about real nappies because using disposable nappies just didn't sit comfortably with me. I was worried about the cost, friends told me that we would be forking out £30 to £40 per month for disposables and I had no idea where we would find that sort of money. 

More importantly though, I worried about the environmental impact. I would probably describe myself as a reluctant hippy. I want to be normal and conventional and fit in. Really, I do. But my conscience always gets the better of me, and that's what happened with the nappies. I just couldn't reconcile the idea of sending that much unnecessary waste to landfill.

So, I did some research and I decided that I would go for an easy to use reusable nappy that wouldn't set me back too much. I ended up finding an offer from NCT on some bamboo pop-in type ones. To be honest I couldn't tell you the make but, needless to say, they are fabulous. They cost me £125 and they are suitable for use from newborn to potty training owing to some handy poppers that adjust the size. 

Husband took some convincing. He is as conventional as they come, it took me several months to convince him to have a go at recycling. That was 5 years ago and even now I have to regularly pick cans and bottles out of the bin when he's forgotten. So when I suggested that we voluntarily wash shit out of nappies instead of just chucking them in the bin, he was delighted. 

I think what swung it was when I explained that we could use disposable nappy liners. These cost about £20 for 1000 (about 6 months worth), and go straight from the nappy into the bin or the toilet (depending on the horrific nature of the contents). It's actually really straight forward. 

We had issues with them in the hospital when I first had Libby. I hadn't really learned how to use them and the midwives couldn't help me, they just looked at me like I was insane. They had clearly never seen them before and didn't know how they worked. I am so glad I persevered with them though. 

They virtually never leak. Washing them is no problem at all, they don't take as long as I thought they would to dry. I'm pretty sure they don't need changing as often because they are built to last so it makes sense that they will be more effective than something that was made to be thrown away. And, to top it all off, Libby has never had nappy rash. Apparently this is something to do with the bamboo. 

I know that this is going to be quite a controversial post, and some of you will think I'm mad, biased or a bit preachy. I would love to read your comments though, whether you use real nappies or not. Did you consider it? What put you off? And have you found a disposable nappy brand that you're happy with? Thanks for reading! 







3 comments:

  1. Bravo reluctant hippy for this post! didn't find it preachy - just a refreshing alternative to the conventional consume and throw away mantra that's thrust upon on us daily.

    Particularly loved, "So when I suggested that we voluntarily wash shit out of nappies instead of just chucking them in the bin, he was delighted".

    Hannah Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must confess to never having had to wash out a nappy - yet!
    HM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that you can't beat price of honest diapers and the best thing is that they show up on my door step often in less than a week!!!!!!!! No tax and no shipping.

    ReplyDelete